Friday, September 11, 2009

It's Official

I live in Crazyville. If everything else I've ever told you on this subject wasn't enough....

When I left work for lunch today at 12:00, there was a field blocked off for parking. It included lights and porta-potties. Hubby said when he left, there were people buying permits to set up their canopies for tailgating across from the stadium. The game isn't even until tomorrow! After dinner we drove through campus so I could see. All the restaurants were packed, as I'm sure the hotels were. Nola, are you up here!? Someone had even spray painted their front lawn (nice house) with a big OU, spotlight and all. I wish I had had my camera, but didn't and there's no way I'm leaving the house tomorrow! I'll have to get a picture of it next week. I'm sure it's not going anywhere.



On another, sadder note, hubby got word today. He will be out of the Navy soon. He will be looking for a job. It is ironic that we hear this news on 9-11, eight years after the events that prompted us to re-enlist in the Navy in the first place. We knew it was coming, but it's still sad, though not nearly as sad as this day eight years ago. I mentioned it at school today and we were struck by the fact that the children were babies at the time. They have never known a world without terrorism. Hopefully they will someday. Hubby is one of the heroes that helped in the plight. Thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... as much as Navy life can stink sometimes... I'm not sure how it will feel when that time comes for us. Jubilant? Sad? One of the things I love about the military is job security in this time of economic uncertainty. I wish you all the best of everything during this time.

Wow... my kids have never known a world without terrorism either. They are still too young to know that though.

Nola said...

No ma'am, I am NOT one of THOSE people! The only game we ever attend is the OU/Baylor game when it is in Waco. That's a one hour drive, and it's not usually a packed game, so I can TOLERATE it!
We go to the fair on the day of the OU/TX game, but don't go to the game itself.

Stacy said...

I wish your hubby the best in his next adventure. I'm sure it is sad to be leaving that life behind, though.

It is amazing to think that our kids have never known a world without terrorism or a US that was not at war.