Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Teacher Story~Peanuts

I am a teacher. I work with the kids who bite, scratch, use wheelchairs, come from situations I wouldn't want my dog living in, can't talk, sometimes can't do much of anything. But they have the best smiles, the most contagious laughter, the warmest hugs, are happy in their own situations, never complain, and have the biggest hearts. Baby steps are celebrated. Tears of joy are shed over small victories. I am content in the knowledge that when I see them in heaven, they won't need my mouth to speak, they won't need my legs to walk, they won't need my ears to hear. OK, enough of the mushy stuff, but I need you to know where I'm coming from.

I used to lament about my job. It is demanding, difficult, heart-wrenching, and thankless. But I've decided it takes a special person to work with God's special babies and I've been given the gift.
I hope to periodically post stories about experiences I have. I'm sure I will sound irreverent at times. I have been in this business for 15 years. I have seen trends come and go. Categories become the 'new thing' to diagnose a child with and disability names changed to more 'politically correct' terminology. I can be irreverent or callous-sounding. I have proven love for 'my' kids and don't let me hear anyone saying anything negative!!

OK, on to the first story!!!!

I was teaching preschool special ed. There were two bathrooms in my classroom. The doors remained open because all sorts of *wonderful* things can happen behind closed doors. So, Johnny (names have been changed to protect the innocent) was in one of the stalls sitting down. Max walks in to use the other restroom but pulls up short when he sees Johnny sitting on the toilet rather than the more natural male posture of standing. Max says to Johnny "You have a penis." Pause.... Then"You have a penis!," with more incredulity. Johnny looks to his left, looks to his right, and responds "I don't have any peanuts!"

P.S. I have fixed the settings so anyone can leave a comment (for those of you who tried and could not)

1 comment:

One Scrappy Gal said...

It's so weird that you should find your way to my blog today. My son is going to be 3 in May and is on the "autism spectrum" and nonverbal after having had heart surgery at 9 months to correct a birth defect. He's in the Birth to Three program with therapists (OT, PT, Speech, etc.) to help him but when he turns 3 in May, those services will stop. I'm being told by the therapists that he would thrive in a special ed preschool type of environment this summer. I asked some questions about what takes place in the classes but no one can answer me. So I'll be visiting back often to read about your classroom situations in an attempt to learn more. Thanks for stopping by!