Thursday, March 13, 2008

Cookies! Again

I've a request for the cookie recipe. But first, a story. I like to give gifts to my childrens' teachers each year for Christmas. This usually ends up being something handmade. One year, I painted flower pots in themes relating to each teacher's subject, filled the pot with rice, and used floral tape to make flower pens. They were so cute. This year, I did cookies again. When I do cookies, I like to buy the plastic tubs or cute bags at Wal-Mart and give each teacher a variety of cookies. So, as I'm busily making all these different kinds of cookies with my awesome new Kitchen Aid, I think, I'm just going to crack the egg on the side of the mixer instead of stopping the mixer, lifting the whole thing up and doing it that way. Well, didn't quite work out the way I wanted it to. In my haste of cracking the egg and trying to avoid the giant twirling mixer thingy, half of the shell went into the batter. Yep.....too late to try to dig it out, which you can do if you've actually stopped the mixer like you are supposed to. The whole lot ended up here:



(Those egg shells obviously are from the previous batch...)


So, I figured after this frustration I better check with my now middle-school aged son to see if he would actually take the cookies to school or if he wanted me to deliver them. You see, way back when I made the cute flower pots, my daughter was in middle school. I was checking her backpack for something in like February, and I found a broken flower pot and rice all over the inside of the backpack. Sigh....all my hard work foiled by a middle-schooler too embarrassed to give her teacher a gift. I delivered the cookies.

Now for the recipe! The cookies are actually called: Chocolate Studded Dream Cookies. Isn't that catchy!?

2 cups all-purpose cake flour

3/4 cup Nestle Toll House Baking Cocoa

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened

2/3 cup granulated sugar

2/3 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 large eggs (no shells)

1 2/3 cup (10 oz. pkg) Nestle Toll House Swirled Morsels, divided

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in 1 cup Swirled Morsels. Drop by well-rounded teaspoon onto ungreased baking sheets. Top with remaining Swirled Morsels. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until cookies are puffed and centers are set. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Enjoy while warm!! Yum-yum!

1 comment:

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

LOL

I like the way you say, eggs but no shells.

The recipe sounds really good. I'm going to use it tomorrow after shopping!